You’ve spotted mould in your home and your first thought is to rush down to the supermarket. You pick up five different mould removers plus a bottle or two of bleach – that should be enough to kill it right? Off the Supermarket Shelf
The problem with some of these commercially produced mould cleaners is that they don’t remove the mould. They just cover it up so you can’t see it. Then when it comes back a few months later, you’ll find yourself standing in the supermarket aisle again. Now deciding which product would work better; it’s a vicious cycle!
Bleach has been the number one “go to” for people looking to remove mould for years, and it’s easy to see why. With how strong it is, and how well it cleans other parts of the house. It’s natural to think it would be a great mould killer. But it isn’t. All bleach does is remove the colour from the mould so you can no longer see it. Not to mention the headache you get from breathing in the overpowering fumes.
Oil of cloves is often a popular option for those who don’t wish to use chemical solutions. Although it does need to be used sparingly. It can easily leave brown streaks on soft furnishings. Also if you have people with allergies in the house, they may end up with allergic reactions.
If you’ve only got a small spot of mould (no bigger than your hand), there are suggestions on online home remedy sites. These are that you could try an 80/20 vinegar water solution. They say to mix it up in a spray bottle, spray it on and come back about 15 minutes later and lightly wipe up the mould and excess vinegar solution. Tea tree oil is another natural option mentioned, using 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil to 2 cups of warm water. Again, they say to spray it on and come back 15 minutes later and lightly wipe up the mould.
If you are planning on removing small patches of mould yourself, here are some simple tips to keep in mind:
- Wear gloves and a face mask. This will help to stop breathing in mould spores while cleaning, and will help you control the spread of spores.
- Use three buckets to clean. One with vinegar or tea tree oil solution, one with a weaker solution and one with just water. Once you’ve wiped away the mould, pop your cloth into the second bucket. Then into the third before wiping again or moving on to other spots.
Remember that visible mould is an indication of a moisture issue that will need further investigation. Mould growth is often hidden in wall cavities, and behind appliances or in wet areas. You should always seek a professional opinion when dealing with mould.
Home remedies have limitations and this is where MouldMen are worth their weight in gold!
So, if you have found mould, don’t waste your time and energy on short term solutions. Call MouldMen, speak to an expert and get your mould gone for good. Phone: 1300 60 59 60